How to create bootable USB installation Disk?
Create bootable USB installation Disk Author : Mr.J.Raju
Create bootable USB installation Disk
Some time there may be a situation where bootable CD is not working or the system does not have a CD or DVD drives or if you want to install some old computer using the USB.
This tutorial will teach you how to create bootable USB installation Disk. To create a bootable USB drive manually, we will use the Command Prompt as a Windows default program. Here are step by step to create a bootable USB drive as the Windows installation media.
To create a bootable USB drive as a Windows installation media, we require at least 4 GB for minimum capacity. Larger capacity is better. Be sure that you don’t have any important files in the USB drive, because this process will completely format your USB Drive.
Create bootable USB installation Disk
Step 1: Using DISKPART Command
- Insert your USB flash drive to your running computer. As the first step, we need to run Command Prompt as administrator. To do this, we need to find cmd by typing ‘cmd‘ in the search box on Windows Start Menu. After search result for ‘cmd‘ appears, right click on it and select “Run as administrator“.
- Type ‘diskpart‘ on Command Prompt (without quotes) and hit Enter. Wait for a while until the DISKPART program run.
- Type ‘list disk‘ to view active disks on your computer and hit Enter. There would be seen that the active disks shown as Disk 0for hard drive and Disk 1 for your USB flashdrive with its total capacity.
- Type ‘select disk 1‘ to determine that disk 1 would be processed in the next step then hit Enter.
- Type ‘clean‘ and hit Enter to remove all of data in the drive.
- Type ‘create partition primary‘ and hit Enter. Creating a primary partition and further recognized by Windows as ‘partition 1‘.
- Type ‘select partition 1‘ an hit Enter. Choosing the ‘partition 1‘ for setting up it as an active partition.
- Type ‘active‘ and hit Enter. Activating current partition.
- Type ‘format fs=ntfs quick‘ and hit Enter. Formatting current partition as NTFS file system quickly.
- Type ‘exit‘ and hit Enter. Leaving DISKPART program but don’t close the Command Prompt instead. We would still need it for next process.
Step 2: Creating Boot Sector
Let us assume that the flash / USB drive is the D: drive and the DVD installer located on drive F :. The first step, we will navigate Command Prompt to set installation DVD as its active directory.
- By default, Command Prompt’s active directory for Administrator permission is on C:\Windows\System32>. We will navigate Command Prompt to set on DVD (F:) as its active directory. Just type ‘f:‘ then hit Enter, and the active directory changed to F:.
- Type ‘cd boot‘ and hit Enter. Active directory changed to F:\boot>.
- Type ‘bootsect /nt60 d:‘ and hit Enter. Creating boot sector on D: drive (USB flash drive).
- Type ‘exit‘ and hit Enter to close the Command Prompt. Until this step we have made a bootable USB drive sucessfully, and the flash drive is ready to be used as a boot media.
Step 3: Copying Installation Files
To install Windows from a bootable USB drive, we just need to copy the whole installation files contained on the DVD installer to flash drive. To do this, open the Command Prompt as in previous steps. Once it opens, type ‘xcopy f: \ *. * d: \ / E / H / F‘ and then press Enter. Wait until all the files in the DVD installer copied to the flash drive. Or you can copy directly from CD or DVD to USB.
It will work 100% without fail. Moreover, while installing windows, you could be amazed at the speed in extracting from USB. USB is safe and you need not bother about scratching disc.
Now bootable USB drive is ready to be used for installing Windows from flash drive. Shut down and reboot. Then just select the priority to boot from USB in the bios.
If you have old system that does not have USB boot priority menu, you should use plbt.iso, This iso image should be burned on a cd disc and run this CD to execute the commands. After running the CD your old Computer will get USB booting option in BIOS.
If you need additional help follow the below note :
Just go to the link
Just go to item 2 live cd in the link and download the zip file. Extract the same to a folder on your pc. Then just copy the file plbt.iso from the folder. This you could just use , any burner, including windows burner to burn the iso to a cd. Just prioritize the boot menu with boot from cd as the 1st choice. usb as the second choice in the bios. When you insert the cd and restart, the menu to boot from options menu is shown on your monitor to choose. It includes to use pendrive (usb), you could just move the cursor with your keyboard to pendrive and then press the Enter Key . Now the pc boot from pendrive which has YOur OS ready to be installed. This addition is for the people who may still have older pcs that does not contain usb boot priority menu in the bios. The file size of plbt.iso is 544kb for easy picking.
Just select USB menu to boot from USB. Please place the USB in the mother board USB slots to get continuous program.When the install completes and reboot for first time, it will show the alert that it would boot in 7 seconds to complete install. That time you could just remove the pen drive, otherwise, which would again go the first menu of install.
Now your System is ready with fresh installed Windows.
Hope you understand about Create bootable USB installation Disk, if you have any questions comment below we will guide and help you.
If you need the installation process for the latest Laptop and Desktop
You may be interested in below articles :-
Did you checked this How to apply Patta for land in Tamilnadu?
You may be interested in TNPDS Online-Smart Card-Ration Card-Know everything
You may be interested in Know about Carpet Area-Built Up Area -Super Built Up Area
Our Popular Kadhambam Pages :-
If you are looking for a Government job visit our Government job corner by clicking this link. Government Jobs
Visit our Tour Corner to know more visa related information’s/Articles.
Visit our Government Corner for more information’s related to Indian Government and Tamil Nadu Government.
View Technology corner for more technology news.
Post your article in the given link. Visitor Posts Submission Page