How to prepare Sakkarai Pongal? – Easy Cooking Recipe
Sakkarai Pongal is one of the traditional dishes in Tamil Nadu. It is spelled as சக்கரை பொங்கல். In English we can call it as Sweet Pongal, since it is made up of sweet and Rice. Mostly it will be prepared during festival and special occasions.
Pongal festival is the most popular four day long harvest festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu. It falls in mid January. It is like a Thanksgiving occasion to nature. Sakkarai Pongal or Chakkara Pongal is a delicacy made from newly harvested rice. It is cooked with jaggery, ghee and cashew nuts and is offered to sun god.
On the day of Pongal, sweet rice known as ‘Pongal’ is cooked in a new earthenware pot which is placed where the puja is to be performed. Fresh turmeric and ginger are tied around this pot. Then a delicious concoction of rice, moong dal, jaggery and milk is boiled in the pot on an open fire. According to the ritual, this Pongal rice is allowed to boil and spill over. Once the rice is cooked, it is tempered with cashew nuts and raisins fried in ghee. When the Pongal dish is ready, it is offered to the sun god on a new banana leaf along with other traditional delicacies, like vadas, payasam, etc.
Today let us learn how to make Sakkarai pongal or Sweet pongal or Chakkara Pongal following our easy and fool proof recipe with step wise pictures.
Sakkarai Pongal | Sweet pongal | Chakkara Pongal
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Moong dal(pasi paruppu) – 1/4 cup
Jaggery – 1 – 2 cup or up to taste grated
Cashew nuts -3 tbsp
Raisins – 3 tbsp
Cardamom – 5 pods or 1/4 tsp powder
Ghee/clarified butter -1/4 cup
Milk- 1 cup (or for your taste) -Optional
- Take a Pan,add little ghee and heat it. Now fry cashews and when it became golden colour remove them and keep aside.
- Now add little more ghee in the same pan and fry the Moong Dal(Pasi Paruppu).Remove the Moong Dal and fry the rice in the same Pan.
- Optionally you can melt the grated Jaggery and Keep aside.
- Now Place Man Paanai or Pressure cooker, add water (3:1) ratio.let is boil for 2-3 mins.Now add rice and Pasi paruppu dal mix it well.
- Once the rice if cooked add Jaggery, Milk, Cardamom and mix it well. Keep in low flame. Now add Ghee (for your taste), Cashews and Raisins.Mix it well.
- Delisious and Tasty Sakkarai pongal or Sweet pongal or Chakkara Pongal is ready for serving.
Note :- If you have any additional tips comment below we will add it.
- Instead of raw rice (pacharisi) can use saamai, kuthiraivaali etc
- Can use paachai karpooram less than a pinch
- Can add sugarcane juice for different taste
- Can use palm jaggery (karupatti) instead of normal jaggery
- Can add little bit of kalkandu by reducing the quantity of jaggery
Did you know how to link the following online ?
You may be interested in below articles :-
Did you checked this How to apply Patta for land in Tamilnadu?
You may be interested in TNPDS Online-Smart Card-Ration Card-Know everything
You may be interested in Know about Carpet Area-Built Up Area -Super Built Up Area
Our Popular Kadhambam Pages :-
If you are looking for a Government job visit our Government job corner by clicking this link. Government Jobs
Visit our Tour Corner to know more visa related information’s/Articles.
Visit our Government Corner for more information’s related to Indian Government and Tamil Nadu Government.
View Technology corner for more technology news.
Post your article in the given link. Visitor Posts Submission Page